Thursday 13 November 2014

Creating our own compositions

From our research on composition rules, the large drawings on the floor and the large-scale painting we derived from them, we were asked to create our own composition in regards to composition rules from our drawings.

I started with very random and automatic ideas, with some just looking like a squiggle on a page. 



I experimented with the rules and broke them in some and stuck to them in others. 


This was the design i chose to make into a painting. The mix of curvature within the composition attracted me as well while sticking to the rule of thirds and the golden triangle.

I did a test with some canvas first of all to see what finish i wanted on my painting. I painted half of the canvas white and left the other side plain. 
I created a template for the mounds and sponged on a variety of greens, blues and whites on either side.
I decided that painting the canvas white first would give me the best results. The colours went onto the canvas a lot easier on the right hand side and also look a lot more vibrant with a white undercoat.


Before starting the real painting, i had a little light-bulb moment. when having a last look at the rules of composition i looked at the rules of composition within the face.



This gave me the idea of creating a piece based on the contour lines i draw on my own face every morning.



This was my final drawing for my idea before i began painting. The darker outer areas with a gradient represent the features such as below the cheekbones with get darkened in which to highlight their shape.





I look forward to finishing this piece and seeing how it can reflect a human face.

No comments:

Post a Comment