Saturday 22 November 2014

Life drawing-week 2:Chalk and charcoal

I was actually quite looking forward to working in chalk and charcoal as I remembered being quite confident in using the media. 

This first image was created my using no outlines but finding the light and highlighting it on the figure. I was impressed at how it turned out because I've never used this technique before but for me the drawing looks a little dead and lifeless. in my further work I tried to inflict more energy into the pieces as a result on reflecting on this piece.


 I began to focus on a smaller part of the figure instead of the whole body. I liked the un-neat lines of this piece. I was inspired to do this through research of Henry Moore and his style of drawing.
This drawing looked a little more alive than my other drawings which made me extremely happy as this is what I was aiming for.

For the first time since I was 7 years old I used my hand to paint, and I absolutely loved it. I'm really happy with how this piece turned out because it looks alive and the light is highlighted in the way which made visibly clear the curves of the body. Charcoal was used to add a little depth and to also darken the background to make the figure stand out more on the page.









My last paint and charcoal piece I loosened up completely and splattered as much paint on the page as I could. I managed to still maintain the figure which I was worried about because of the amount of paint i was using. I favor blanking out backgrounds because I think it makes the figure have a sense of depth. I really enjoyed making this piece because there was so much freedom with it. If I were to do it again however I would try to use the paint a little more constructively to add light and darkness more accurately.














No comments:

Post a Comment