Thursday 2 April 2015

Statement of intent for my Final Major Project

SECTION ONE:

The title of my project is the theory of flower representation. I will look throughout this project at the different meanings, representations and connotations of different flowers.
 
I have come to this point through looking at Parade and how I could represent each character with a flower on a fire curtain. For example I used a rose to represent the little American girl in the ballet as this is the state flower for New York. I am interested in what others flowers represent and how they are used in other paintings, films and plays such as Shakespeare’s and the character of Ophelia.
 
I plan on experimenting with how the flowers can be changed so the feeling towards it is changed along with the connotations of it and its placement. I will be working predominantly in paint but with some installation work.
 
 
SECTION TWO:
 
There is a strong influence from the painting ‘Ophelia’ by Sir John Everett Millais which uses many flowers to represent a lot of different things within the painting.
 
I have gotten ideas through my research of Jeff Koons, Andy Warhol and Jim Dine. The style of which I will conclude my work will be derived from these artists. I plan on creating Pop Art style images as well as collages and realistic paintings.
 
I will visit the Botanical gardens in Sheffield to take photos of the flowers and to find descriptions and information on the flowers. From the images taken I will make collages and derive composition ideas for my own paintings.
 
I have visited The Tate modern and the Liverpool Tate and will be using these will influence my project through the artists and their work which I saw at these venues.
 
I will also look through gardening magazines to find information of certain flowers and use their images to create my own images with collages and by using Photoshop.
 
 

SECTION THREE:
 
I will use a range of painting materials. The most frequent I will use will be acrylic paint but I will also use water colours depending on the image I am wanting to create and the desired effect. I also plan on using dry materials; oil pastels, graphite and biro for smaller, more detailed work.
I also wish to create collages based on previous projects. For this I will be using clipping from newspapers, gardening magazines and my own photos.
For the photos I intend to take at the botanical garden and use in my collages I also plan on adapting them through Photoshop to manipulate them from only minute changes to making them unrecognisable.
As well as just drawing and painting flowers I will also be using silk flowers in my collages and other pieces to add a 3D element.
 
 
SECTION FOUR:
 
Throughout my project I will look back at this statement and determine whether or not I am achieving what I set out to do and look at. If I am not I will ask why I am not and why I have head in a different direction then I will assess as to how I will get back on track with my work. In addition I will also ask my peers and tutors to assess whether it is up to a suitable standard.
 
 
APPENDIX:

Google.co.uk
Wikipedia.co.uk
Gardening world Magazine,
Sheffield Botanical gardens,
http://www.tate.org.uk/learn/online-resources/ophelia/subject-and-meaning/ophelias-symbolism,
http://www.livingartsoriginals.com/infoflowersymbolism.htm,
Pop Art book.


Timescale:

Week one:

·         Look at Ophelia and the representation of the flowers within it,

·         Go to botanical Gardens in Sheffield and collect images and information of flowers,

·         Research meanings and symbolism of flowers from the Botanical gardens.

Week two:

·         Photoshop images collected from botanical gardens,

·         Cut up images and make into collage of flowers,

·         Create sketches using biro and pencil of flower studies.

Week three:

·         Create large-scale painting of one of the images taken at Botanical gardens,

·         Create plan for large-scale 3D flower made from paper.

Week four:

·         Create 3D flower from designs made in previous week.

·         Plan and Create collage using silk flowers, newspaper clippings and paint.

Week five:

·         Detailed observations of flowers in pencil,

·         Different style of flowers (pop-art, ect).

Week six:

·         Design and plan idea for box from alternative miss world project to be turned into a flower,

·         Start cutting ‘petals’ from box.
 
Week seven:

·         Finish cutting box flower and glue together

·         Make sure pieces for exhibition are done to a high standard, if not go back and improve

Week eight:

·         Finish all pieces of work

·         Make exhibit work for my pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment