Monday 29 December 2014

Hands and falling fingers

I was introduced to the material alginate and really wanted to work with it for some hand casts. I decided i was going to make one, add clay to it so it looked like talons then paint latex on to it. After doing this i planned on attaching the latex on to a part of my body so that it looked like it was coming out of my body or was attached. I got this idea from looking at wilder Mann.





I really liked my initial cast because the alginate gives you a really detailed cast. Unfortunately I had pressed me fingers into the bottom of the bowl so the tops of them came out flat. Despite this I find the first cast interesting because of the detail, you can even see my fingerprints. I also like the position of the hand and how it's curled up.
(Photo of curled up hand) 










I started changing the position of my fingers in the alginate because of my idea so that they were straights. However after I'd allowed the plaster to set and was taking the alginate off the fingers kept breaking off due to how fragile the plaster was. This happened 3 times before my final cast. 
(Photo of broken fingers)







For my final cast I took longer, a lot longer, to peel away the alginate. An hour later, I had my final cast ready to start building! Now to wait for the clay to arrive...
(Picture of the final cast)







No comments:

Post a Comment