Wednesday 3 December 2014

Life Drawing-Week 3: Primary paint

On our third week of life drawing we finally got to use colour. However, we could only use the primary colours of yellow, red and blue. instead of using brushes I used my hands like the previous week as I really found the effect this gave my work interesting.

This was the first piece I made and it's turned out to be my favourite. I'm not sure exactly why but I really like the bum and think the colours all go really well. The curves are good and yellow shading around really emphasize the curve of the body. I'm not so keen on the arm as the colours have gotten mixed up and too blended together so the shape was lost.












This piece I really liked again because of the use of colour. the painting looks alive and bright without looking garish.











This was my final painting and we were challenging ourselves with foreshortening. It didn't go well as I wasn't sure on how to paint the proportions right but I'll be researching this so I can try again and get it right ready for next week.
Frank Auerbach


Frank Auerbach is a German-born British painter. He is a figurative painter, who focuses on portraits and city scenes in and the area of London in which he lives. Auerback looses himself in the paint in his pieces which suggests his thick-paint style. Some of Auerbach's paintings in the 1950's being considered difficult to hang, partly due to their weight and according to some newspaper reports in case the paint fell off, is not primarily the result of building up a lot of paint over time. It is in fact applied in a very short space of time, and may well be scraped off very soon after application. This technique has not always been considered positive.

















No comments:

Post a Comment