Tuesday 23 June 2015

Looking back at my work and making sense of it.

For my exhibition i really needed to stop and take a look back at how my work had progressed to try and make sense of it. 

I looked at my first collage to start off:


Its crowded and in your face. i was never aware at the time as to why i did this. But the trait continued in my other work...

One of my other collages for example:

They both have geometric features which has been a strong element throughout this project,
I went back right up until i found where this began; when i first saw Kandinsky's work. The influence he had on my first automatic drawings went much further than i thought.

Kandinsky's work
My first automatic drawing
From this point my work became much more about geometric shapes and symmetry, which is what attracted me mandalas within my work.


Unconsciously my work had become about the way in which flowers and nature could be used in ways which featured geometry and symmetry.

This is what lead me to look at the fractals in nature.


The definition of a fractal:
Infinite complex patterns that are self-similar across different scales. they are created by repeating a simple process over and over in an ongoing feedback loop.

The image above made me think of one i had seen before, of the golden triangle at the very beginning of the year. 
All of this information gave me my idea for my exhibition. without noticing, symmetry and geometry had made its way into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment